sunset harvest

Monday, October 24, 2011

Getting the kids involved!


Growing up I remember the special nights where my mom would let us help her make individual pizzas for dinner. They were popular for slumber parties as well. We used English muffins for our crust and then each person used the toppings to their liking. I have done this with my kids, or even used a bagel, but then watching TV one night saw an idea to use Pillsbury Grand Biscuits for a crust. I love the taste and so does my family. I usually buy the Simple Pillsbury brand biscuits, when I can find them that is. This time however I went for what they had in the grocery store. I also made a fettuccine sauce paired with some linguine noodles. (I still had a little whipping cream from my Chicken Alfredo Braid and wanted to use the rest of it up) This is a meal that everyone enjoys eating and I don't have to worry about any leftovers. We stick with the basics around here, pepperoni and sausage, but feel free to use whatever you prefer! Turns out this time around the kids were outside enjoying some not so cold fall weather so I was able to just roll, top, and bake on my own.
For the Alfredo or in this case, Linguine
For the pizza
Roll out the biscuit with a rolling pin. Not going for perfection here, so just get it nice and flat. I then place it on the cookie sheet, with a little corn meal underneath, and begin topping! Sauce, toppings, and finish up with cheese on top.
At the end I decided rather then have to bake another sheet of pizzas, I topped a few of the already made pizzas with another rolled out biscuit, pressed the edges to seal and then made a slit in the top, added some melted butter with some seasonings to the top and it turned into a calzone! Jack preferred this as it was much easier to pick up and eat.




Grands Biscuit Pizzas

1 Can refrigerated Pillsbury Grand Biscuits
Corn Meal (optional)
Pepperoni
Cooked Sausage
Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
Other assorted pizza toppings

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Roll dough out on a clean surface. Place corn meal on cookie sheet and then place the rolled out dough on top. Add sauce and toppings. Place in oven for 15-18 minutes.

Alfredo Sauce
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta and return to pan. I used half a box of pasta, and added 1/2 stick or 1/4 cup of butter. Add 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 4 TBLS. of whipping cream. I usually add a little more cheese right before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you making those little English muffin pizzas...I thought that was a very clever use of English Muffins. I know...do you want to make English muffins? They are so easy, I'm not kidding, I have a great recipe. Okay, think about it. Actually, what I was going to comment on here, and I did have a specific purpose, is that I love it when you show all the packaging of the products so one knows EXACTLY what to look for...I am sometimes packaged ingredient crippled, I have no idea what I am looking for most of the time. A photo is a great deal, thanks!

    ReplyDelete