sunset harvest

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Casserole Conversion

My husband is one of those that can look at a casserole and his stomach turns in disgust. That is, until I made this one for him years ago. I love this one and my kids do as well, and even picky Doug can handle this casserole every so often. The ingredients...simple, the taste...very comforting. We have been having some very dreary weather lately and this meal hit the spot!

Butter, Ritz Crackers, Cream of chicken, Poppy Seeds, Sour Cream, Cooked Chicken, and although the original recipe doesn't call for it, cheddar cheese. So easy you don't even need a list if you need to go to the grocery store! I just grilled up some chicken that I seasoned with salt and pepper. I went with about 3 cups of cooked chicken, maybe a little less, I used 3 boneless, skinless chicken breast. Mix all the ingredients together, minus the butter and crackers. Pour into a greased baking dish, 9x13 would be too large, I believe I used something closer to an 11x7 baking dish. Break up the crackers, not too fine, and mix with the butter and put on top of chicken mixture. Place in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes and you have yourself a casserole that even the pickiest should be able to eat. That's why I called this a conversion casserole, because even Doug was converted and enjoys this meal!


Creamy Chicken Casserole
adapted from Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook

3 cups cooked chicken (Shredded or diced)
1 cup sour cream
1 TBLS Poppy Seeds
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 sleeve Ritz Crackers
1/4 cup butter (melted)

Mix chicken, sour cream, poppy seeds, cream of chicken, and cheese in a bowl. Put in greased baking dish. Place melted butter in a bowl and with your hands crumble crackers into butter, mix to coat and put on top of chicken. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This will be our meal for tonight! You know how I always call you and ask you about which side I should include with the meals I make? I see that you serve this with a salad, which is SUPER helpful. Not many cooking blogs include what else they serve this with- keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Doug on the whole casserole thing, too many foods touching in too small of an area...lol. This looks good, sort of a cheesy chicken thing...cheese makes everything better, right? Your salad looks lovely as well.

    ReplyDelete