sunset harvest

Sunday, May 27, 2012

I have been on a bit of a dinner time slump lately. Getting tired of thinking of recipes, or just tired of cooking dinner in general. However this recipe knocked me right out of my slump. I made this for dinner and had leftovers for lunch and dinner the next day. I am not the type to enjoy leftovers and most of the time I end up throwing them away, however when it comes to this meal, we will eat every last bite! I will make this again soon, both kids loved the tender chicken and Doug was even pleased, which is saying a lot since he is so picky about what sauces he will eat.
I used bone in and skin on chicken breast. In an oven safe cooking pot, I browned the chicken breast that had been sprinkled with salt and pepper before hand. When they are browned, remove to a plate.
Place sliced onion rings and whole garlic cloves in the oil and stir for about two minutes. Pour in a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce. I ended up using about a bottle and a half. 
Place chicken breast back in the pot and cover, place in a 300 degree oven for about an hour and a half.
Your kitchen will begin to smell amazing. I couldn't wait to eat this meal! Remove the chicken and the meat will literally fall right off the bone. I also pulled off the skin of the chicken breast as I pulled the meat off the bone.  I consumed some of the chicken then placed the rest back in the pot to simmer in the sauce until dinner time. I removed the garlic cloves but left the onions in the chicken mixture. 
I love cole slaw on top of the meat, served on a bun. This is a perfect and easy summer meal! 


Barbecue Chicken
from The Pioneer Woman

4 bone in/skin on chicken breast (the original recipe calls for one whole cut up chicken but to make Doug happy I stuck to using all white meat)
One onion, sliced
6 whole garlic cloves, skin removed but left whole
2 TBLS canola oil
1 to 1 1/2 bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce
Salt
Pepper

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Heat canola oil in a large oven safe pot. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken in oil and turn to brown. Remove to a plate and place the onion and garlic cloves in, cooking for about 2 minutes. Pour in the BBQ sauce and return the chicken to the pot. Place lid on and bake for about an hour and a half. Remove skin and bones from chicken and shred using two forks. Place back in sauce to simmer and keep warm until you are ready to serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment