sunset harvest

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Andes Mint Brownies

I had an extra bag left over from when I made cupcakes with Andes mints last week. I could have just opened the bag and ate them, but that is what would have been the problem, I, alone possibly would have consumed the entire bag. So I found some cute brownies with Andes Mints from Jamie at My Baking Addiction. I have been making a lot of cupcakes lately so brownies seemed like just the right thing to make. I took some help and used a box of brownie mix for these, next time I want to make it all from scratch but this seemed like a faster route. I ended up doubling the box mix, I wanted to make the brownies tall and in a 9x13 pan, with only one box I didn't think they would be tall enough. However, next time I will stick to one box, as they don't need to be super tall with the toppings that I added.
Make up the brownies according to package directions, I used two sheets of aluminum foil and laid them in the pan and folded over the sides. Spray with cooking spray. The aluminum foil worked really well and it was easy to just lift the aluminum foil out for when I was ready to cut the brownies later on.
Once the brownies are cooled, make the mint layer, or in my case, just an icing layer. I had bought peppermint extract last week but when it came time to actually finding the bottle, it became a mystery. I looked for it for several minutes and gave up, not adding it was fine with me! The Andes mints on top were enough mint flavor for me! In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, blend together softened unsalted butter, powdered sugar, whipping cream, and if you like the extra mint flavor, peppermint extract. Once blended, add in some green food coloring till the desired color is achieved. Spread on cooled brownies and place in the refrigerator to firm for about 10 minutes.
While those are chilling prepare the chocolate glaze. Place chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and bring some water to a boil in a small saucepan, once the water is simmering place the bowl on top and melt, stirring till smooth. Once melted, spread over the top of the brownies, top with some Andes mint that are roughly chopped. Place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes. Remove the pan and pull out the foil and slice.
Chocolate Andes Mint Brownies

Prepare brownies according to box directions, or if you are feeling that extra ambition, make up a batch from scratch.

Once brownies have cooled, mix together :
2 TBLS unsalted butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 TBLS heavy whipping cream
1/2 tsp. Peppermint extract (optional)
Add green food coloring to achieve desired coloring.
(I typically use Ameri color gel food coloring, but this time I used some Wilton food coloring. This is more concentrated and wont' take on the flavor of the dye which in my opinion is completely necessary!)
Add in extra cream if it is too thick, you want it thin enough to spread

Spread over cooled brownies and place in refrigerator to firm, approximately 10 minutes.

In a double broiler, or just in a heatproof bowl, place
6 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped
2 TBLS unsalted butter
Heat water to simmer and melt chocolate and butter, stir till smooth

Spread over mint layer. Rough chop Andes Mints and sprinkle over the top. Place in the refrigerator to set, approximately 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Guys would go for this one...and it is pretty with all that green!

    ReplyDelete