sunset harvest

Monday, February 20, 2012

Sloppy Joe's

Does it get any better? My husband would say, yes, of course it does, since he won't touch this meal. It of course is "too tangy". Although, to this day, I can say he has yet to try my sloppy Joe's. He went as far as having some hot dogs for dinner to avoid this meal. While I tell the kids, you need to at least try it..he is chowing on some hot dogs. Oh parenting, how I love thee. This is usually Jack's go to meal. He has been asking for it. He was having an off night, typical these days, and only had one helping. Grace however, had a second helping. She couldn't get enough of it. I have to agree with her. This meal hits home with lots of memories of growing up and great taste. This is my Noni's recipe. I am a big memory buff, or sentimental person who loves tradition, and recipes that are handed down from my mom, that came from Noni mean so much more than just a recipe. Meals cooked by Noni growing up were always so good. As I grew older I just came to realize that pretty much every meal taste better when someone else makes it!

Begin by browning a pound of ground beef. Drain, if there is any fat. Add the onion, celery, and pepper. The original recipe calls for a green pepper, but I am very partial to red, and that is what I had so that is what made it into the meat. I typically don't add the pepper, but did this time and I love the flavor. However I believe this is what turned Jack off from consuming his usual amount. Grace even tried to convince him that you can't really taste them, and "Just eat it Jack" was her final approach. Once that has cooked together for a few minutes add the remaining ingredients and simmer. Serve on a bun, or right out of a bowl as the kids preferred.





Sloppy Joe's

1 lb. ground beef
1.2 c. onion, diced
1/2 c. green (or red) pepper, diced
1/2 c. celery, diced
Brown meat and add onion, pepper, and celery.
Add
1 can tomato soup
1/2 cup ketchup
1 TBLS vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. worchesire sauce

Continue to simmer till heated through


This recipe is linked up to Weekend Pot Luck #22 at Life as a Lofthouse

3 comments:

  1. This was Noni's mom recipe. One that has been passed down over the last 3 generations. Very tasty and always a hit, YUMMY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt will be right over the next time you make Sloppy Joes. He loves, loves, loves them...and your recipe looks similar but not quite the same as ours...close, very close...we don't do the tomato soup thing and we do a couple of ingredients you don't show there. Better have a taste off don't you think? Yours might be better and we might be missing out on just even better ones!! BTW, I did come through your area last week, to and fro the Big Ten Swimming Championships in Iowa City where we watched said Matt compete (and do very well indeed in his freshman year)...I yelled out the window, "HI" and all your names as we went through...you did hear that, right? Right. Geesh you live a long way from home. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, don't you love comments that are almost longer than you posts? Oooopppps...sorry, I will be brief next time.

    ReplyDelete