sunset harvest

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Taco Seasoning

I guess spending 10 days in Florida will make me slack off on this blog and other household chores. The kids and I spent a nice long vacation in Florida with my mom and I guess I was so relaxed that when I got home I just couldn't get motivated to do anything! But now things are back on track and time to start sharing some recipes!
I was seeing a lot of homemade taco seasonings online and once I looked more into what was in the store bought version I wanted to at least try my own. The verdict-probably never buying store bought again. This is easy and would be great to try with my taco salad!

Homemade Taco Seasoning
adapted from Annie Eats
2 Tsp. Chili Powder
1 1/2 tsp. Paprika ( I used smoke and loved the extra flavor it adds)
1 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Onion Powder
3/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (This added just the right amount of heat, but if you want more heat add a little more)
I added about 1/4 tsp of salt, maybe even just a little less

Mix all together and add to browned ground beef (1 pound) Add 3/4 cup water and simmer till liquid is almost completely gone.

Since this was a hit I will be making a large batch of this and keeping it in a air tight container so it will be ready to go for our weekly taco night!

1 comment:

  1. I have made my own for years as well as I got a book called Make a Mix for a wedding shower gift very long ago and it has all sorts of mixes like this. Now I sort of adjust the seasoning like you do...add more of this or that we like, use less of something we don't...kinda fun. Your photo of the spices is really lovely. The photos surfacing from Florida look like you are all having way too much fun...fun to see!

    ReplyDelete